Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What's wrong with the smokers?

Today I ate lunch at the IKEA warehouse in Älmhult, Sweden. It's a non-smoking facility. Since I'm a non smoker my self, I like that. All resturants in Sweden are non smoking these days which is really nice in my opinion.

So after finishing my lunch I exited the warehouse through the main doors, or should I say - I tried to exit through the man doors. They were almost completely blocked by people smoking or finishing their smokes before entering the warehouse. I really had to cram myself out through the doors and had to pass at least a dozen smokers fuming their terrible smelling odor. I don't mind people that smokes, but please - show some consideration to the people who don't! Non smokers are actually in majority and we shouldn't have to be forced to inhale the smoke from cigarettes if we don't want to. And by practically blocking the doorway for both incoming and exiting visitors to the warehouse can only be considered as rude - smoker or not. There was plenty of free space 3-4 meters to each side of the doorway leaving a lot of free space, and ashtrays, for the smokers to use and thus both leaving the doorway available for people going in and out as well as letting non smokers breath fresh air.

What's wrong with the minds of the smokers? Are they believing that finishing off their cigarette before entering the warehouse takes so little time that it doesn't matter? Or are they in such a hurry that they can't walk 3-4 meters to the side of the door - while smoking??? I mean, they can't enter the facility anyway while smoking so what's the big hurry? And this sin't the only place place I have run into this. Outside almost every facility where smoking isn't allowed you will have walk throug a fog of cigarette smoke when going in and out. Why can't the smokers show some consideration and stand a couple of meters to the side?

No comments: