Thursday, July 26, 2007

A new start at running?

Finally I got started again. I've been running at an on and off basis since my early teens. For about three years ago I started to run frequently aiming for three times and 20-30 km a week. Something that has been working very well apart from some vacation or periods off illness or running related injuries. Out of some reason by mid May this year I just didn't feel like running at all anymore. I participated at a 10K race at the end of May, performed worse than anticipated - about 5 minutes slower than I had aimed for which didn't exactly encouraged my training :-(.

Well, during my three week vacation in Spain now in July, I managed to drag myself up in the mornng before the sun got too hot and ran 7K for about 6 times which felt really good. Now, home again I needed something that could encourage me to continue my training - I have a ½-marathon scheduled for the autumn that I really would like to participate in. But that will mean going back to my training. I already had a Polar S625X running computer which can measure my heartrate, speed and distance, a handy tool when running in new areas where you have little or no idea about distances. Usually I have first gen iPod Nano with me while running for listening to various podcasts. I had already tried the Nike+ running kit but hadn't liked it so I had sold it again. But I decided to give it another try and bought one at the local Apple dealer where I live.

So yesterday I modified my new Mizuno X10 shoes to fit the foot sensor, dressed up and geared up with the Polar S625X and the iPod nano with the Nike+ accessory and got out for a 10K. This time it felt quite good. Listening to Dan Carlin's Hard Core History podcast and having the Nike+ chiming in every 1K and occationally telling me my distance, speed and so on was really nice. I ran quite slow, averaging 5.40 min/km. Normally I try to run a 10K at a sub 5.10 min/km pace, but being not too well trained I made a choice to run at a slower pace. Home again I connected the Nano to my MacBook and syncronized the Nike+ information to my account at Nikeplus.com. Everything went smooth and nice.

Today, the day after, everything feels really good, a bit sore in the legs of course, but nothing seriuos. I plan to make a longer, 12 to 15K, run on friday so I'll have to see how that will go.

It feels like I got a fresh start again in running after a slow summer. My running inspiration has improved over the last weeks. Usually I feel a lot better both physically and mentally when running regularly so I think that by starting running again I will continue to do so because of the general improvements.

No comments: