Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mobile Phone Usage

As I promised I will begin my series of Nokia E71 v.s. iPhone 3G comparison articles by describing how I'm using a cell phone.

To begin with - I use the phone at work. The SIM card in my "main" phone is provided by my employer. If I call within the company I call for free, numbers outside the company isn't very cheap and we are using a special number prefix for making private calls. We have an unlimited dataplan for a fixed price and texting is the same price internally or externally. And since I'm in Sweden I don't have to pay for receiving calls.

Currently I'm engaged in an assignment where all my collegues are in the U.K., the U.S., Poland and other countries. Phone calls are made through a IP based softphone through my company Laptop so I rarely makes any calls or much texting on the phone. Due to the differences in time zones I do spend quite a lot of time reading and answering e-mails from my collegues in Europe and U.S. particularly during late afternoons and evenings. I also have my private e-mail accounts set up in my phone since the I have fixed price on data.

I listen to quite a few podcast channels through iTunes. I have some smart filters set up that creates an automatic playlist with all the unplayed podcasts. When I have listened at them through an iPod or iPhone they disappear from the playlist (and computer) automagically. I also watch movies and listen on music or audio books.

I also likes to read e-books from ereader.com, play an occasional game or three. I spend some time reading twenty something websites several times and blogs several times each day and update my Twitter micro blog as well as this blog.

I also needs to have my calender synched with my company Exchange on a regular basis. I shoot an occasional picture that I like either import to iPhoto or upload to a picture site, so the quility of the camera is important.

Overall this put special demands on screen, battery, keyboard, sound, synching, handling, and so on. I will look at different functions that I use daily and how they match the phones cababilities so stay tuned if you find this interesting.

No comments: